11.14.2006

Your Inner Child



Strange as it may sound, last night I dreamt in flip book images. You remember flip books? the things we used to make in Social Studies class when we got board? We'd draw some little stick figure guy on the lower corner of each page of our notebooks, and when you flipped the pages, he began walking rather disjointedly to some unknown destination?

Okay, well, last night I dreamt in flip book images. I dreamt of a very crudely | simply drawn boy leaping over a bull in much the same manner as the ancient Aegeans. Except rather than a bronze skinned, narrow waisted Aegean figure, the boy was drawn as if a 6 year old, crayon in hand, tongue sticking out in concentration, had drawn it. I remember being rather impressed by this child's artistic ability.

Now Carl Jung would probably point out that this "child" most likely represented an aspect of my inner self (I'd hate to think what Freud would ascribe to the symbols of my dream). As I woke and began writing about the dream, I decided that I was observing and acknowledging my inner child.

How long has it been since you acknowledged your inner child?

Challenge: Let your Inner Child out to play

You can start out slowly, if you like, by just reminiscing about the fonder memories of your childhood. Once done with that, why not write about them? What was your favorite toy as a child? how did it make you feel? How does it make you feel to remember it now?

Activity: Play

List your favorite childhood toys/activities. Once you're done listing &/or writing about them, pick one and either find the toy and play with it, or do the activity. Seriously!

If you can't find the toy to play with - try drawing it exactly as you remember it. Keep in mind that while you are remembering this toy, you're remembering it through the eyes of your 5, 6, 7 year old self - so, if the drawing looks like a kid did it, FABULOUS! That just means you're more in touch with your inner child than you might've thought!

No comments: