11.03.2006

SING!

Everyday around 3:30, I am graced with the most curious event: my very own wandering minstrel. He walks down our little dead end gravel road and cuts through the field to the set of houses just on the other side. I never recognize the song, and I've no idea what he is singing about, but I hear his marvelous crescendoes from a block away and I smile. Occasionally I stand out on my front porch and just wait for him - for my very own passing concert to arrive. He walks by, nodding his head in acknowledgment of my presence, never missing a note, never losing his concentration. As I am not invited to join him on the rest of his journey, I wave and go back inside.

I often wonder what his story is. In my mind I've decided that he lives with a secret band of musical gypsies, and both to announce his arrival and gain admittance he must sing. So everyday, when walking home, this is what he does. And I get to be a witness to this secretive and curious event.

Challenge: Be a Witness

    Sometimes all it takes to discover these mystical, magical events is to be present and be aware. More than that, however, you need to acknowledge the wonderment of it - be a witness to the event - enjoy it, write it down, create a story or poem - or just tell someone else about the wonderfulness of it.

    Avoid thoughts that lead to judgment or negativity, like: "Oh what a weirdo" - instead, find the grace and wonderment of the event.


Challenge: Live Out Loud

    Do something akin to our wandering minstrel: Sing out loud, recite a poem to the clouds, skip down the street, write words of wisdom on the sidewalk with chalk.... don't be afraid to be seen or heard. Enjoy your own presence, your own voice- for whatever it contains, you can probably bet that someone else out there is enjoying it too.

No comments: