11.02.2006

Scavenging for Inspiration

As a part of my daily "quiet time" today I watched the wild life outside my "office" window.

At some point this summer I thought it would be a good idea to hang a plant and a bird feeder just outside my window so that I might enjoy the beauty and excitement of birds perching within arms reach. What better way to stimulate creativity? I thought.

Of course, it wasn't too long before the plant died, because while I could see it from my window - there was never an easy way of getting out and watering it. And the bird feeder primarily attracted squirrels and a Blue Jay who liked to yell at me for not stocking the right kind of seed.

At first I was annoyed. Here I went to all this trouble to attract beautiful birds with equally beautiful songs to inspire me, and instead I get a squawking Jay and a scavenging squirrel. I have since named them. The squirrel is Rupert and the Blue Jay, Simon. I've noticed that Rupert has the habbit of showing up shortly after Simon arrives at the feeder. Simon beaks through the seed, tossing the stuff he doesn't like on the ground where Rupert then digs through it (smart squirrel). They do this several times a week & I've become accustomed to their company, no longer annoyed, but intrigued by their resourcefulness and routine.

Challenge: Scavenge for Inspiration

As you create your own routine by taking time for yourself, and writing | creating in your journal, why not take a little tip from Rupert & do some scavenging? (all the best writers, artists, and squirrels do it)

Find little snippets of writing (letters, poems, stories, op-ed columns, junk mail, etc), images, parts of conversations, old gum wrappers, neat looking leaves... that inspire you, and incorporate them into your journal.

Activity: Write, Paint, draw your Inspiration

As you find your scavenged inspiration, tape it into your journal, then write about its discovery - why does it inspire you? Or create a little drawing or poem that goes along with it.

Activity: Start a collection of Inspirational Objects

Find a spot somewhere, a windowsill, a shelf, your bulletin board... something you see every day, & keep your inspirational objects there. Make sure it is big enough to accomodate any additions.

No comments: