10.31.2006

Careful Creativity

I remember, while in art school, noticing how messy everyone's sketchbooks were - covers tattered, pages falling out, books so full that you couldn't close them without breaking the spine. When I looked at mine, even though thoroughly used, it was practically pristine. I felt utter horror at this realization, after all, I thought real artists have messy chaotic sketchbooks. It's a sign of their true genius!

Whether true or not, I set out to have a messy sketchbook, one that was bursting at the seams. One that when you opened it, spilled over into your lap - bridging the world of my imagination to the real world. I even went so far as to rip off the binding, so that when the book was full, I could rebind it in a more suitable fashion. I pulled out pages, ran them through my ink jet printer, then painted or drew on top of them. I threw out all the rules I had originally set for myself & gave my creativity free range to play.

The results were magical - it's not that my artwork or images were any better, but my world seemed to be more vibrant, and my powers of observation more keen. I wasn't a tortured artist, but an invigorated one!

Now, this isn't to say that you should run right out and buy a journal, and tear the binding off (although I'm not stoppin' ya' if you feel so compelled). Remember, we're talking about taking baby steps. And the first step in keeping a sketchbook or journal, is, well, keeping a sketchbook or journal. Seems silly to say, but you first need to actually own it (whether that means going out and buying one, digging up an old one, or making one - it doesn't matter).

It also doesn't have to be "the perfect journal" - all you need is something to write/draw on, something to write/draw with, and the intention to do so. The perfect journal (or sketchbook) will present itself in due time, until then, start practicing with something that will make due.

Activity: Keep a notebook | Journal

As you are walking, meditating, crying... resetting, carry with you the intention of being fully present & your sketchbook, journal, or notebook of somekind. Jot down your observations. If writing is intimidating to you & you're just not sure where to begin, try finishing some of these statements:

  1. Today I saw...
  2. Today I smelled...
  3. Today I touched [blank], and it felt...
  4. Today I felt (physically)...
  5. Today I felt (emotionally)...
  6. I remember a time when...
  7. It really makes me want to...


Start with these, but by no means limit yourself. You can make up your own statements, or just free form it.

If you're not into writing, try your hand at sketching or doodling. You can even cut out images you like and paste 'em into your book - remember, no one has to see this but you, so let loose! Give yourself permission to play. Others will naturally be curious (primarily because they want to play too) - let them be curious.

No comments: